A first attempt at Regency Evening Gloves

I am a firm believer that good accessories can transform a good costume into a great one.  One thing I did for my Regency look was that I bought a pair of leather opera length gloves that do not have the buttons at the wrist.  They were better than stretch satin, but the leather itself was not that nice (and they weren’t cheap). It turns out that somehow I’ve misplaced one of them. So I decided to take a crack at making a pair. I searched for an inexpensive source for a thin, kid type leather.  I found a website and ordered  couple of hides from  https://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/smallhides/

and thought I’d give their products a go.  They were delivered quickly and a large off-white kid hide was only $20.  Good for experimenting,  maybe if I perfected my technique I’d want a first quality in the future, but heck, this is for costuming!   The hides arrived.  They are sort of a light dove grey.   I had read various blogs about making your own glove pattern from duct tape and your hand, but decided to go with a vintage glove pattern from Vogue.

I bought it in a pdf form, but unfortunately when I got home, I realized I had printed it on the wrong size paper, so it was too small.  My home printer doesn’t do 11×17 paper, so I got out the single glove I had from before and drew around it for geneeral size, and sort of eyeballed sizing up the Vogue pattern based on it.  I decided to machine sew, as the leather is nice and thin and supple, so my machine would handle it nicely.  To make a glove, there are just a few basic pieces.  The hand/arm/fingers piece, the fourchettes that go between the fingers and the thumb. I sprayed the pattern pieces lightly with an adhesive used to oemorarlily keep fabric together while working with it.  That way I didn’t have to try to either pin the pattern pieces on or try to hold them still while cutting.  Here is the hand piece and one of the fourchettes. 

And here is a fourchettes beginning to be pinned in place

I began attaching the fourchettes and sewed in the thumb piece. 

 

 

I continued working it through, sewed up the tops and down the side.  Not bad for a first effort!  I need to refine my technique for the fingers – the longer angle on the fourchettes need to be sewn to the front side of the glove away from the thumb; I errantly sewed them in the other way, which makes the finger connections on the front side shorter than the back, when they should lay the opposite way.  Live and learn.  Regardless, I’m happy with my first try. I plan to now make the left glove, and it it looks better, make a new right.  I’ll post the final product!  Oh and by the way, regency gloves are a bit baggy because they don’t use the buttons under the wrist – they have to be wide enough to insert the hand and the style was for the tops to be a bit baggy/sort of slouchy looking

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *